Plakentia Veterinary Clinic In-house Diagnostic Laboratory
Plakentia Veterinary Clinic offers an in-house laboratory, thus providing the possibility of immediate and complete diagnostic investigation of the cases presented, as well as the possibility of immediate preoperative control.
With the use of the analyzers and other specialized equipment (hematology analyzer, biochemical – hormonal analyzers, blood gas analyzer, coagulation analyzer), a wide range of basic and specialized tests are performed daily.
- Complete blood count, with an analyzer combining both impedance and flow cytometry methods. It also provides measurement of reticulocytes count, a parameter very useful in the investigation of anemic syndromes
- Coombs test, to investigate the immune character of anemic syndromes
- Biochemical tests: Glucose, Creatinine, Urea, Total proteins, Albumin, Alkaline phosphatase, Alanine aminotransferase, Aspartic aminotransferase, C-glutamyl transpeptidase, Total bilirubin, Triglycerides, Cholesterol, Lipase, Amylase, Sodium, Potassium, Chloride, Phosphorus, Calcium (total and ionized), Lactic acid, Ammonia, Bile acids, SDMA (symmetric dimethylarginine), Fructosamine
- Hormonal tests: T4 (thyroxine), Cortisol. We also offer the possibility to perform the ACTH stimulation test and the suppression test with a low dexamethasone test, for the immediate diagnostic investigation of the endocrine diseases of hyper- and hypo-corticism
- Serological rapid tests for feline immunodeficiency and leukemia viruses, canine parvovirus, leishmaniasis, ehrlichiosis, dirofilariasis, anaplasmosis, leptospirosis, Giardia parasitism
- Coagulation tests (PT, PTT)
- Blood gas analysis
- Canine and feline blood group typing
- Urinalysis, measurement of protein / creatinine ratio in the urine (UPC)
Moreover, our in-house laboratory provides the possibility of immediate microscopic examination and evaluation of cytological smears.
These may be:
- Blood smears, the examination of which is often an integral part of the CBC interpretation
- Body cavity fluids
- Synovial fluid
- Cerebrospinal fluid
- Lesions of parenchymal organs
- Bone marrow
- Dermatological lesions, etc.
Fine-needle aspiration of lesions and organs, and the preparation of cytological smears for microscopic examination, is a minimally invasive technique that can be performed immediately, and thus be a valuable aid in the hands of veterinarians. It is particularly helpful, on the one hand by providing guidance for diagnostic investigation, determining the prognosis of the disease and, on the other hand, by ensuring the appropriate therapeutic management from the beginning. Specifically, in cases where surgery is indicated, the cytological exam allows the most complete assessment and preparation for the surgery.
For the implementation of even more specialized exams, the Clinic collaborates with the most reputable labs in Greece and abroad.